Errors due to Nyala Font

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM

If the user doesn't have the Nyala font installed it causes errors during the build. This is for the update 53613 

You may want to change the Consolas.spritefont font name to a more common font like arial, verdana, microsoft sans, etc.,.

Love your engine btw :)

Requests:
model/skeleton animation system, do you think you could add mirroring and a weighting option.

with weighting I mean something like walkanimation.weight = 0.5f would apply half of the animation to the skeleton, and the other 0.5f could be applied from another animation or the default bindpose.

The total weight could equal 1.0f or something like that. 

with mirroring being able to play the animation data of the left handed side of the character on the right handed side and the other way around. 

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Yes, I uses Nyala just because it looks cool, it should be shipped with Windows 7 but might not be available on Vista or XP, so I am changing it to Verdana. Thanks for the hint.

Animation Weight: I had a bigger picture about animation composing and blending, which might include tweening, particle system animations, etc. The BoneAnimation is there to solve the simplest and most frequently used scenario, so your use case is definately in my consideration and I am working on designing such animation system not only for Models but also for Tweenings as well.

Mirroring: That sounds interesting and it is needed, so I'll try to figure out how to add it.

Thanks for your feedback, it really helps :-)

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:35 AM

That's true, the Nyala font does come with Windows 7. That works fine. ;)

I was at work when I tested it on my Windows XP machine and errors occurred. Also on XP the shaders are not working properly.

the animated character was completely black. I could see the animation working but not the character just a silhouette. Windows 7 it worked fine. 

I think using position values * animation.weight should help with the weighting algorithm.  
the mirroring I don't know, maybe something like world.X * -1

Request2:
Add a blurflilter to the shadow mapping to help make nicer looking shadows.

I hope I'm not started to sound like a nag.  (add this, add that, change this change that...)

Once again love you work.

I will be adding your engine to my XDSK  Resource, This engine is really good. :) 

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2010 at 3:24 AM

The black charactor was a little bug, I'll fix that in the next checkin.

I know the algorithm of blending and mirroring, the only thing left was how to design the API to make it more usable.

The shadow mapping has already got a 2 pass bluring, but I am working on turning it to 1 pass as well as adding PCF or varience shadow maps.

I appreciate your feedback, and am glad to see my work having positive impacts to others. The XDSK is really helpful to bring all this to a broader audience, Thanks Nelxon.