Tutorial Confusion!

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I've just started looking at engine nine (1.2 beta on Windows 7, VS2010 Pro), and I have finally cobbled together the tutorial(s) source codes to create something that works.

Just a couple of points of note on the tutorial projects...

1, The MSI and Source code versions seem to have different tutorial projects (different examples in them).

2, The source code version works straight off (after referencing the Nine projects correctly in the solution). At least I think its doing what it should! However, weirdly the Particle System demo doesn't show any particles. The MSI version does.

3, The MSI source code for the tutorial is missing the TutorialData project and a few assets from the Content folder. I found all these missing items in the source code version of the tutorial project.

Missing assets:

\Tutorial\TutorialData (Project - remember to re-reference the nine engine)

\Content\Effects (Entire Folder)

\Content\Terrain\Splat.xml

\Content\World\NavigatorsScene.xml

I hope this helps anyone having a similar problem.

Nice engine so far, now for more experimenting! :D

Simon.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

After further investigation I can see the Source code version seems drastically different to the msi installer version. 

So it seems that the Particle Systems is not currently working in the tutorial (at least for me), and after some fiddling I don't seem to be able to work either. Can any advise? There also seems to be a lot of issues in the xaml with objects appearing in multiple libraries (TextureTransform in Nine.Graphics and Nine.ContentPipeline) and with objects not having parameterless constructors (although that doesn't stop it working).

Developer
Aug 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Are you talking about the dev build, from the Source Code Page? There have been many changes in the Engine since 1.2(msi). 

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Yeah, sorry, it was my misunderstanding about the MSI and dev source code versions, they are different, I got confused and thought they were the same release. But I realise the dev source code is 'top'.... forgot to engage brain before posting! :S However, the missing assets from the MSI version still applies.

And the particle system in the dev version doesn't seem to work for me. I can send example if needed. I'm going to also check it on another machine to make sure its not hardware (although I can't see why that would be given its XNA underneath!)

Developer
Aug 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Image of the Particle System Example (xaml) in Build 'e38f55e676e1'

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Ok, I've downloaded version e38f55e676e1 and as your image demonstrates it works :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54lq3ujxhjkrvf9/e38f55e676e1.jpg

The tip version (3358f0a9806c) does not show the particle system :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsn12xbv3o9whsl/3358f0a9806c.jpg

I'll stick to the working version for the moment :)

Developer
Aug 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Works in 67db2eb012fc now.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Cheers... downloaded!