Installation troubles!

Nov 23, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Hi all! 

This may sound a bit stupid, and I am probably missing something very simple, but any help you could offer would be great! I am new to Engine Nine, and I think I'm having a bit of trouble installing it.. I have downloaded the source code and have all the required programs (xna 4.0 and visual studio 2010 express) and I am following the tutorial here (http://nine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Create%20a%20Simple%203D%20Game) to get myself started. However, I'm stuck on the first step! When I right click on my game name and go to add reference, I cannot see Nine", "Nine.Graphics", "Nine.Physics", or "System.Xaml".. I am pretty sure I installed Engine Nine properly using this guide (http://nine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation%20Guide) however I had to use Visual Studio 2012 to install it. Could this be causing the problems? 

As I said, I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid, but any help or tips you have would be great!!

Thanks again! :)  

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If you cannot find the Nine.*.dlls in the global assembly list, can you browse to the References/x86 folder and manually select the dlls.

But it's weird that you don't see the System.Xaml.dll. What type of project are you creating? What's the platform (x86,winphone, or winrt) and which .net version are you using?

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Thank you for the quick response! (and sorry for my slow one, I have been away for the last couple days and therefore away from my laptop, so sorry for any vague responses!)

So anyway yes, I am not too sure what .net version I am using, but I have visual studio 2012 professional installed so whatever came with that? If nothing came with it then I guess we have found my stupid problem! I will try and provide a more comprehensive answer when I get my hands back on some proper technology!

I am trying to create a simple gravity based game for a university project, so I still have a couple months to sort out any problems.. I'm sure you will see me frequenting these forums with my questions in the time to come!  

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Happy new year!!!

I've got this kind of problems too. I'm using Visual Studio Express 2010 and XNA 4.0 on Windows 7 x64 OS.

After installing Engine.Nine.1.4.exe and running Visual Studio I don't have XNA Game Studio 4.0  – Engine Nine Game option in Installed Templates list.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Hi,

Project template doesn't appear in Express edition, it works only with Visual Studio Professional.

Developer
Jan 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Easy fix is to move/copy the folder "Engine Nine" from (where VS10 is installed)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\XNA Game Studio 4.0\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Xna Game Studio 4.0

To

C:\Users\<User>\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\XNA Game Studio 4.0\