This project is read-only.

Falling at the first hurdle

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I'm trying to install Engine nine and failing miserably!

I'm running Windows 7, with Visual C sharp Express 2010 and XNA 4.0.  So far, so good.

However, I can't get anywhere with the instructions to install Engine Nine ;-(

I'm working my way through this installation guide:

http://nine.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation%20Guide

Ive got to the point where I'm trying to download and install NuGet.  If I dbl click on the downloaded file  (NuGet.Tools.vsix) then it says "Installation not installable".  If I try to do this in Visual C sharp Express 2010 then my Tools > Extension Manager doesn't look anything like the screenshot.

The Tools > Library Package Manager option is missing from Visual C Sharp express - which means that I can't do the next step either - run install-package-nine.

Help, please!

Bob

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

NuGet is not supported in Visual Studio C# Express 2010. And from what I know Extensions are not available in any express versions.

Instead you can just download the source of nine (here) and build the Framework using "Build.bat" or "Framework.bat" located in at "/Build/" in the source. And then import them to the project. OR you can download the Nine 1.4 release at the download page. But from what I know it do not include the examples.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Hi ChFlashER

Thanks for the speedy response. I've tried downloading the sources but when I run Build.bat I get >100 errors and a mass of red messages.

When you say "download Nine 1.4 release at the download page", which file exactly do you mean? There's a *recommended* download, which I've already downloaded and the projects don't work, then there's *other* downloads. Your message leads me to think that I should actually download  one of the *other* downloads instead of the *recommended* download - is that right?

I think that whoever designed this installation process clearly didn't have in mind that idiots like me would like to try it out!  I seem to be spending hours on this and getting exactly nowhere.

Cheers and thanks

Bob

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Hey, I would like to help you out more, would you like to contact me? I would contact you but you don't preferred to be contacted, on codeplex.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

You'll also need DirectX SDK and Visual C# to build the project. I think you should just uses the compiled dlls.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

That's a very kind offer. I've changed my profile so you should be able to contact me directly - I think ... if I've done it right ;-)

Bob

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
yufeih wrote:

You'll also need DirectX SDK and Visual C# to build the project. I think you should just uses the compiled dlls.

Thanks.

I followed the Installation Guide and I was able to install the DirectX SDK with no problems.

I had a major issue with installing NuGet, but I think I probably don't need it.

Following ChFlashER's suggestion, I was able to download Engine Nine 1.4 compiled stuff, and eventually work my through the Create a Simple 3D Game - which now appears to work ok on my computer - Hooray!  I started this process as 10am yesterday and got the game working at 6pm.

I'm sure no one set out to make my life difficult, but I admit to getting pretty frustrated along the way. I very nearly gave up several times and I wonder how many prospective users have simply given up - but haven't bothered to tell you!  I'm sure you don't want that to happen.

Unfortunately for me, just getting it installed on my computer isn't enough.  I'm thinking I might be able to use this as part of a Game Design module for a UK university course. Our technical staff are more than capable of installing it on the university computers, but many students like to work at home, so it's important that the students are able to install the software on their own computers.  This means that the installation process mustn't just be idiot-proof, it also has to be student-proof, which is far more difficult  ;-)

I recall some years ago using Inno Setup to create an installer, and I wonder how difficult it would be to create an installer to check dependancies, download the compiled files and put them in some known location. At the same time, the installer could provide a some demo programs and maybe a "blank" Engine Nine game project which already has the References to Nine.* and System.xaml, with a list of "using" statements that the programmer can cut-and-paste at the top of the Game1.cs class.  Maybe I could help with this process?

This would benefit not just my students, but anyone who just wants to try out Engine Nine. If you can make the installation process painless then maybe they'll adopt the engine - which I'm sure is what you want.

Cheers

Bob

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

It would be easy to make an installer and maybe a example/start template for Visual Studio. But I just have to ask one thing, when you say 'Game Design Module' in what way are you going to use the Framework? There are no really working Scene Editor right now, so. 

Eric

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Removing the Installer was the worst decision I've made for 1.4 release :-(

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Hi Eric

The module I'm going to deliver is part of a full degree course in Games Technology. It will be delivered in the second year of the course.  The students will have previously done one year of C++ (yeuk!) programming, plus modules on Maya and numerous other game related topics.  It's going to be an expansion of a current year two module that uses C#/XNA but with a significant game engine element. Currently, we don't expect students to provide their own graphical and model assets for course and I expect we will continue to use those we already have for next year.

The precise syllabus has yet to be worked out, and like all these things it's still in a state of flux; plans could change considerably between now and September when we start delivering the first lecture.

BTW, please could you let me have your email address via a private message and I can talk in more detail. In the meantime, you can have a look at the current module's first semester stuff on my web site: http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~lrlang/CSharp/index.html

Cheers

Bob

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hi Yufeih

After reading your PM to me, I can offer to take over the installer and update the worksheets. I'll send you my private email address and we'll talk further.

Cheers

Bob