ModelBatch is gone?

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I grabbed the latest build yesterday (e462b018d085, uploaded 7/11) and noticed that none of the Samples work anymore - checking the framework, I see that ModelBatch.cs no longer exists, as do a large number of other items. The last instance of them I can find is from June 6 (29cdbabf23a8). Do the samples included in the latest build no longer work? Is ModelBatch no longer the method for drawing? Thanks!

Developer
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Edited Jul 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Framework/Nine.Graphics/ModelBatch.cs

was deleted in commit 'ca9115745bf7'

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Yes.
The reason behind this is that I’m shifting towards a more object oriented, declarative and property driven API. ModelBatch can't determine the drawing order between models and other objects like terrain, geometries, particle systems. In addition, the performance isn’t as good as it sounds.
This is a huge breaking change and most of the samples will fail. I’m going to do a clean up of the project to remove all the unusable parts.
If you need it, it is self contained ModelBatch.cs and you can grab it from the repository. I know these recent changes is going to cause A LOT of compatibility issues, but I think the benefits of the new API set is obvious in the long term.