Animation Sample Performance

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I noticed I only get around 30 frames in number eleven, animation instancing.  Is this typical or do maybe I need a different setup?  All the other samples have great performance.

Developer
Sep 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

It is the Depth Of Field post process effect, that take the most performance. Remove it and you will be fine.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

That certainly helped, yet it was still in the 40-50 fps range.  Is this typical or is my gpu too old?

Developer
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

It can also be Anti alising, that take preformance. I will look into it more when I am at my computer, meight even run it on my xbox if I am able.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM

You know, it's really weird, I ran the sample with ants profiler to see what code was causing a slowdown, and it ran at around 200 fps.  Then I run without and it's back at 40-50.  This profiler typically makes games crawl at 2fps since its profiling.  This is making zero sense.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:48 AM

After disabling the Anti Aliasing effect in the xaml, worked perfectly.  Thank you!

Developer
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I did now run ants profiler and I also noticed that the speed is incressed by around 2 times. It also looks like the Physics do some processes when not running with any physics, this take some CPU power but not important.  The things I find that take allot of rendering is all the Post Effects and Full Screen Quad.