This project is read-only.

A couple questions

May 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Hi, so far this engine looks great! I really like it. But I have a pretty decent amount of questions. Sorry if some of these have been asked already. I searched and did not find anything that would immediately help.
  1. I know I can avoid using XAML almost exclusively. I want to make each scene a level, if I assign the current scene a new one, the old one is destroyed, right? (I will be using this on the Xbox, too)
  2. I tried adding a new camera, it was just a copy of FreeCamera with the class named FPSCamera, it did not work. How do I go about adding new camera types? I know there is a Reader/Writer, I tried adding those (again, just copies of FreeCamera changed to FPSCamera) but it still failed.
  3. As far as models: For each mesh, you defined the name of the diffuse texture inside the model, right? Then the normal/emissive/specular are based off the diffuse texture's name? So if I exported my FBX with the diffuse texture name of "Diffuse", I would set the model processor's settings to *_n.dds, *_s.dss, etc. And it would look for Diffuse_n.dds, Diffuse_s.dds?
  4. This one is pretty much the most important. I am making a first person game, I see I can control if a mesh casts a shadow, that is perfect because my first person view is just a pair of floating arms (near the camera). I had started writing my own graphics engine that worked with BEPU, but once it was announced that XNA was no longer being updated, I decided to just use a preexisting engine! On to the question, I am not sure exactly how to word this, so a photo will work the best.
In my project, I plan to use mostly in-door game play. With very little outdoor time. But I still need windows/doors/chances for the player to explore the outside environment a bit. Is it possible to get the lighting to work like this:

I guess I could describe it like this: Inside the building is darker, while outside is still brighter. Similar to Battle Field Three.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Jun 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  1. I did not really understand the question.
// Loading "SomeScene1"
Scene scene = Content.Load<Scene>("SomeScene1");
// Loading "SomeScene2" and replacing the content of scene
scene = Content.Load<Scene>("SomeScene2");
I am not sure on how the ContentManager Cache will work tho.
  1. I am afraid I have to see some code to help you on this.
  2. I believe that the textures are saved into the model's file format.
    It was a long time ago I used the Content Pipeline in the way you're describing, so I am unsure on that.
  3. Yes, it would be possible. But I can't say it would be the same type of quality.
Jun 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM
ChFlashER wrote:
  1. I did not really understand the question.
// Loading "SomeScene1"
Scene scene = Content.Load<Scene>("SomeScene1");
// Loading "SomeScene2" and replacing the content of scene
scene = Content.Load<Scene>("SomeScene2");
I am not sure on how the ContentManager Cache will work tho.
  1. I am afraid I have to see some code to help you on this.
  2. I believe that the textures are saved into the model's file format.
    It was a long time ago I used the Content Pipeline in the way you're describing, so I am unsure on that.
  3. Yes, it would be possible. But I can't say it would be the same type of quality.
Thanks, I am going to try this engine again. I've been through about seven of them. I don't really want to go back to writing my own. But at this point Nine is my last hope.